Breast Reduction in Mexico
Women with overly enlarged, pendulous breasts may experience pain or discomfort when engaging in certain activities such as jogging or playing sports. They may feel self-conscious about wearing low-cut blouses or feel frustrated when shopping for clothes to fit their ample bosom.
If this sounds familiar, COSMED / VIDA Wellness and Beauty’s plastic surgeons a solution: breast reduction in Mexico. Many of our breast reduction surgery patients — including our out-of-town patients — are so pleased with our holistic team approach to patient care, our AAAASF-accredited surgical facility (the first internationally accredited facility in Tijuana), and, of course, the surgical results that they often remark that they wish they had chosen to have breast reduction in Mexico with us sooner!
What we’ll cover
- Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery in Mexico
- Breast Reduction Incision Types
- The Breast Reduction Procedure: How We Remove Breast Tissue
- How to Prepare for Breast Reduction Surgery
- Is Breast Reduction Surgery Dangerous?
- How Painful is Breast Reduction?
- How Much Does Breast Reduction Surgery Cost in Tijuana?
- Breast Reduction Surgery Recovery
- How Long Does it Take to Recover From Breast Reduction Surgery?
- Breast Reduction Surgery Scars
- Learn More About Breast Reduction Surgery in Mexico
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery in Mexico
Aside from feeling embarrassed about your breasts, you may also suffer from chronic back, neck, and shoulder pain due to being constantly pulled forward by the weight of your heavy breasts. Your bra straps may dig into your shoulders, leaving you with welts, rashes, or painful skin indentations. With breast reduction surgery, the plastic surgeon removes excess skin, glandular tissue, and fat from the treatment area while moving the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (a “breast lift”) for a perkier breast form. Breast reduction surgery alleviates the physical and emotional discomfort you feel due to your large breasts. In some instances, women may also undergo breast lift surgery simultaneously for an even perkier breast form.
View breast reduction photos from VIDA to see the natural-looking results you can achieve with breast reduction in Mexico.
Breast Reduction Incision Types
The incision pattern that you and your plastic surgeons ultimately agree upon depends on your anatomical needs for breast reduction surgery. The Tijuana plastic surgeon offers two main incision approaches to the breast reduction procedure:
The “anchor” incision pattern, involves a periareolar incision around the circumference of the areola, a vertical incision extending down the front of your breast, and an inframammary incision extending horizontally below the breast fold. This traditional incision approach is best suited for women who seek to remove a significant amount of breast glandular, fat, and skin tissue, as well as raise the nipple-areola complex to a higher, more centered position on the breast.
The “lollipop” incision pattern is a modified approach used for women who need a lesser amount of tissue removed during their breast reduction treatment as well as a lesser degree of nipple-areola elevation. This “short-scar” approach involves only a periareolar and vertical incision.
The Breast Reduction Procedure: How We Remove Breast Tissue
Breast reduction is an outpatient surgery performed with the use of general anesthesia. Here’s how our plastic surgeons perform breast reduction surgery.
First, the plastic surgeon first makes the incisions before removing the excess skin, breast glandular tissue, and fat from the treatment area. He removes most of the tissue from the lower section of the breast to preserve fullness (i.e., cleavage) up top.
Your VIDA plastic surgeon can also reduce the size of an enlarged areola by eliminating skin from the outer border of the areola and can move the nipple to a more central location on the breast. When adjusting the position of the nipple, the surgeon keeps it affixed to the tissue below to help maintain its sensation after surgery.
The result of breast reduction surgery is smaller, lighter, more youthfully positioned breasts. You can rest assured that you will still look like yourself, but your new breasts will be more harmonious with the rest of your figure.
How to Prepare for Breast Reduction Surgery
Once patients decide they’d like to get a breast reduction in Mexico, the next step is knowing how to prepare for it. Going into surgery feeling prepared will make you feel calm and relaxed, and avoid unnecessary anxiety. Let’s go over the basics to prepare you for the big day:
- Arrange your transportation for before and after your breast reduction in Mexico. A VIDA representative can pick up patients from San Diego International Airport if needed
- Go over the pre-surgery instructions the doctor provided. Some of the things in this light may include:
- Stop smoking 7 to 14 days before the surgery (Or when your surgeon determines it’s best.)
- Do not take blood thinners or anti-inflammatory drugs
- Stop drinking alcohol and increase your water intake
- Complete your lab testing and a physical
- Get a mammogram if instructed by your surgeon
- Arrange time off from work for your recovery
Apart from this, remember that your plastic surgeon will be available to solve all your doubts and questions on how to prepare for your breast reduction in Mexico. On the morning of the surgery, your doctor will go over the details of your procedure again, talk about the anesthesia, and when you’ll likely be ready to leave. Rest assured that you won’t prepare for the operation alone, we’ll be there to help!
Is Breast Reduction Surgery Dangerous?
A lot of patients wonder how risky or dangerous breast reduction surgery really is. As with any operation that involves anesthesia, there are dangers and complications, such as:
- Scarring and poor wound healing.
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation in the incisions.
There are also risks directly associated with breast reduction surgery, including:
- Decreased or loss of sensation in the breast and nipple
- Temporary bruising and pain in your breasts
- Breast asymmetry
- Difficulty or (rarely) inability to breastfeed
- Hardening of the breast tissue
Keep in mind that while no surgery is 100% risk-free, having an experienced plastic surgeon perform breast reduction surgery increases your safety, minimizing potential complications. Your surgeon will calmly explain the benefits and risks of breast reduction, help you understand them, and let you decide how to proceed. The experienced plastic surgeons at VIDA know how personal the decision to undergo breast reduction in Mexico is, and will always put your health and safety first.
How Painful is Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia, which means that once the sedation kicks in…you won’t feel a thing. VIDA surgeons take great care of making the procedure as comfortable as possible, helping you manage pain and discomfort during and after your breast reduction surgery in Mexico.
When it comes to pain, there are three major things you should know before you undergo surgery:
- The actual surgery doesn’t hurt. An experienced anesthesiologist will make sure you don’t feel any pain while the surgeon works on improving your breasts.
- Recovery can be painful for a couple of days, but manageable. It’s normal to feel pain because, during a reduction mammoplasty, the doctor will remove breast tissue and skin from a tender area of your body.
- Your surgeon will explain recovery and pain management to you. He will prescribe pain medications and give you instructions on how to decrease your pain. When followed to a tee, most patients report feeling sore, but little pain.
The first 48 hours after breast reduction can be the most painful, because, at this time, your breasts will swell and become tender to the touch. After the first 48 to 72 hours have passed, you will notice the swelling starts decreasing and you’ll feel better every day. Your surgeon will likely prescribe pain medication for the first 2 weeks, make sure you take it on time to help keep your pain level controllable.
These are some simple steps you can take to prevent and decrease pain from breast reduction surgery:
- Take pain medication as prescribed
- Check what and when OTC pain medications are allowed
- Stay hydrated
- Learn how to massage your incisions
- Sleep on your back
- Rest and sleep a lot
- Do not lift heavy items
- Use your surgical bra, even when you sleep
- Be gentle and extra careful with your breasts, use soft fabrics and avoid underwire bras
How Much Does Breast Reduction Surgery Cost in Mexico?
The average breast reduction cost is $4,100 at VIDA in Tijuana, Mexico. If you’re looking for affordable breast reduction in Mexico, consider a visit to the breast reduction specialists at VIDA. This breast reduction cost is around 45% less than US prices, and the care you receive is the same or even better quality thanks to our plastic surgeons’ extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive procedures. You can see more information about the prices of other procedures here such as breast lift costs, breast augmentation costs, liposuction costs, tummy tuck costs, and more.
Your breast reduction cost at VIDA includes the following: transfers across the border from the San Diego International Airport to our breast reduction surgery clinic, free planning consultation, surgeon fees, anesthesia and anesthesiologist fees, facility fees, implants, and medications while you’re here.
There are some extra expenses we like to remind patients to budget for as part of their breast reduction cost, such as:
- Overnight stays. A night at our state-of-the-art Recovery Boutique costs $150, which includes all of the comforts of home plus 24/7 nurse care and catered meals.
- Pain medications.
- Compression garments and specialty/sports bras.
Breast Reduction Surgery Recovery
The treatment area may be bruised, swollen, sore or numb following surgery, but these normal symptoms will subside over time. Taking pain medication as instructed by your surgeon will help relieve any discomfort. Keep the surgical bra that has been placed on the treatment area in place until otherwise advised by your breast reduction surgeon to help minimize swelling and provide added support to the healing tissues.
After breast reduction, you will need to take about one week off from your job or everyday routine, during which you should get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activities. Nevertheless, walk around the house periodically as soon as you feel up to it, to reduce the risk of blood clots.
You will visit COSMED / VIDA Wellness and Beauty for a few follow-up appointments, during which your surgeon will monitor your progress and provide you with additional post-surgical breast reduction care instructions, as necessary.
How Long Does it Take to Recover From Breast Reduction Surgery?
Recovering from breast reduction surgery takes anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. It’s important to note that recovery from this surgery is a process, in which you will feel better as time passes.
Let’s cover a basic timeline of what recovery from breast reduction surgery looks like:
Breast Reduction Recovery Timeline
The first 7 days after breast reduction surgery: These first days are the most uncomfortable for patients. During the first 48 hours, you may notice that your breasts are sore, numb, swollen, and bruising. The swelling may increase a little before starting to subside.
Pain medication will be prescribed to help you manage pain and discomfort and in order to help your breasts heal, you’ll be instructed to wear a surgical bra.
During this first week after breast reduction, you won’t be able to work, drive and do much around the house, so enlist some help from a friend or relative. Take this time to rest and sleep as you regain your strength. While exercise is, not allowed at this point, you should try to take short walks during the day to reduce the risk of blood clots.
Two to three weeks after breast reduction surgery: Most breast reduction patients feel almost fully recovered at this point. At this point, swelling decreases enough for you to appreciate the results of your surgery and you’ll be able to do regular activities with little to no discomfort, such as cooking, driving, and working. With the exception of exercise and strenuous activities, you’ll likely be cleared to resume your normal routine.
Three to six weeks after breast reduction surgery: Swelling usually is 80% gone at this point. You’ll be cleared to exercise after 4 to 6 weeks, with the exception of heavy lifting, push-ups, and contact sports. Patients report not feeling sore or tender at this point, and incisions are fully healed too.
Keep in mind that recovery times vary for everyone, which is why you will visit COSMED / VIDA Wellness and Beauty for a few follow-up appointments. Every time you see your breast reduction surgeon, he will monitor your progress and provide you with additional post-surgical care instructions, as necessary.
Breast Reduction Surgery Scars
It is normal to wonder how your breasts will look after the breast reduction procedure, particularly the risk of scarring. Breast reduction surgery patients will have some minor scars, which can be easily concealed with clothing and are likely to fade.
- Scarring can only occur in the incision site, so discuss with your surgeon the incision pattern he’ll use. Incisions are usually small.
- In order to reduce your risk of scarring, here are some quick things you can do:
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water before the surgery so your skin is more hydrated, this will boost its natural ability to heal.
- Do not pick, exfoliate or scratch your incisions.
- Wear your surgical bra as instructed.
- Ask your surgeon for OTC supplies that can help, such as creams.
- If you develop scarring, talk to your doctor about scar-minimizing techniques and treatments.
Learn More About Breast Reduction Surgery in Mexico
Reducing the size of excessively large breasts will help you feel more comfortable in social situations as well as when performing physical activities. By achieving breasts that are in better proportion to the rest of your body, breast reduction will increase your self-confidence and overall quality of life.
To schedule a personal consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons to learn more about breast reduction surgery in Mexico, please contact VIDA Wellness and Beauty by calling 1 (619)738-2144 (toll-free) now.