Requirements for Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric surgery is an extremely effective weight loss treatment method that offers a great chance for long-term weight loss. For people who are overweight or obese the results can be amazing. However, weight-loss surgery is not for everyone, and our professional staff at VIDA Wellness and Beauty will be able to determine if this surgery is right for you.
Dr. Gabriela Rodriguez Ruiz, Bariatric Surgeon
More Than Losing Weight
Many candidates who undergo bariatric surgery do so for more than just “losing the weight.” They come here because they want to improve their overall health and the side effects that obesity may have on their life. Some of the side effects of obesity include:
- High blood pressure
- High LDL cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep apnea and/or breathing problems
- Coronary heart disease
- Body pain
- Policystic Ovaric syndrome
- Low quality of life
- Mental illnesses such as anxiety, clinical depression, and other mental disorders.
Many of these conditions are a result of obesity. However, after the right surgery and achieved weight loss goals, many of the above health complications improve or become non-issues.
Determine Your Candidacy
Our bariatric surgery has helped hundreds of people improve their health and lives. They have seen the reverse of life-threatening illnesses and have experienced significant health benefits because of this surgery. If you or a loved one are interested in experiencing what bariatric surgery can accomplish for your quality of life, there are some qualifications to meet to ensure you are a candidate. These qualifications include:
- You understand that weight-loss surgery is only part of the process. Our surgeons all agree that those who are interested in learning about the criteria to qualify for weight-loss surgery should start by understanding the primary goal of bariatrics. Bariatric surgery is not a substitute for adopting healthy lifestyle habits. Each available weight-loss procedure has its own benefits and requirements, but all surgeries require patient cooperation, healthy eating, and an active lifestyle.
- You have a BMI of over 40. (Click here for a free BMI calculator from the CDC)
- You have a BMI of over 35 in addition to obesity-related illnesses. Medical conditions that may qualify for weight-loss surgery include type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, and cardiovascular disease.
- You are more than 100 pounds overweight.
- You have more than 30% body fat in women or 20% body fat in men.
- Not be dependent on drugs and alcohol.
- You have tried and failed to continuously lose weight with diet, exercise, and medical supervision.
Before you even step foot in Mexico, our team will assess your unique requirements with your personal weight-loss team and determine if you are the best match for bariatric surgery.
Are You Ready For Bariatric Surgery?
Any type of surgery can be stressful. From the fear of complications to wondering if it will work or not – bariatric surgery should not be taken lightly. Our patient’s safety is our top priority, and we want to make sure that everyone we operate on is physically and emotionally ready for their weight-loss surgery. Learn more about our hospital here.
If you are certain that you would be a good candidate for this surgery and ready to make the call to VIDA Wellness and Beauty to book today – stop now and take a few minutes first and ask yourself the below questions.
- Have I tried nonsurgical approaches to lose weight?
- Do I understand that I must travel to Mexico for the procedure and be there for part of my recovery?
- Do I have clear expectations of what will happen after the surgery?
- Do I have a support system to help me when I get home from my surgery?
- Am I prepared to change my eating habits and increase my physical activity then I’m allowed to do so?
If you have answered “yes” to all of the above questions – you may be ready to take the next step. Those mentally prepared for bariatric surgery and the results after are one step closer to achieving a healthier weight. Learn about Your Journey here.
Types Of Bariatric Surgeries
There are several bariatric procedures, broadly divided into three types:
- Restrictive procedures: those that limit the amount of food you can eat.
- Malabsorptive procedures: those that stop the food from being completely absorbed into the body.
- Mixed procedures: combines both types and restricts the amount you eat as well as the absorption into the body.
At VIDA Wellness and Beauty, we offer all three of these bariatric surgery options for our weight-loss patients. These surgery options include:
Specific Requirements by Weight Loss Surgery Type:
When having a lap band or adjustable gastric band surgery, the surgeon uses a silicone band around the upper section of the stomach. By doing this, the patient is left with a smaller stomach that has limited space for food. Having a lap band is a unique form of weight-loss surgery because it is reversible. The silicone band is adjustable and can also be removed.
General requirements for Lap Band Surgery include:
- Having a BMI of 40 or more
- Being over 90 pounds over your ideal body weight
- A BMI of 35 to 39 can make you eligible for the lap band if you have a weight-related medical condition.
- Be 18 years old
Gastric Bypass and Mini Bypass
Both the Gastric Bypass and the Mini Gastric Bypass help patients lose weight on 3 different levels: by restricting the amount of food a person can eat, limiting the calories the body absorbs and reducing the hunger hormone, ghrelin. During a Gastric Bypass, the doctor leaves only a small portion of the stomach as functional. The surgeon attaches the stomach pouch to a midsection of the intestine, bypassing up to 3 meters of the organ. (Check out our post Gastic Sleeve vs Gastic Bypass Surgery)
The general requirements for a Gastric Bypass are:
- Having a BMI of 40 or higher
- Having a BMI of 35 or higher and a serious obesity-related illness. If the patient is under 18, he or she can still qualify by meeting one of those two criteria.
- A history of failed attempts to lose weight without the surgery
This weight-loss surgery combines the benefits of gastric bypass and gastric sleeve. During the surgery, the doctor removes a portion of the stomach and skips two-thirds of the small intestine. This limits the amount of food patients can eat, the calories that are absorbed and the production of ghrelin.
The general requirements for Duodenal Switch surgery are:
- BMI of 50 or greater. Patients with a BMI of 40 or higher can be considered for this weight-loss procedure, but it is usually reserved for those patients with a higher BMI.
- Being 18 years or older
- Unsuccessful attempts to lose weight through diet and exercise
New weight loss surgery options and techniques allow for less invasive and highly effective weight-loss surgeries, like the gastric sleeve. During this surgery, the doctor reduces about 80% of the stomach, leaving the patients with a petite sleeve-shaped stomach that can ingest less food.
The general requirements for a Gastric Sleeve are the same as the requirements for Gastric Bypass and Lap Band surgeries:
- A BMI of 40 or higher
- A BMI of 35 or higher and obesity-induced illness
- A history of failed attempts to lose weight without the surgery
If you are not sure what type of bariatric surgery would work for your unique circumstance – that is absolutely fine. Our team of weight-loss professionals will work with you and determine the best surgery to achieve your weight loss and health goals. If you are ready to take the next step and believe you are a candidate for one of our surgeries – reach out to us today.
Verify Your Candidacy Today
You have determined you are physically and mentally ready for bariatric surgery – now it’s time to contact VIDA Wellness and Beauty to schedule your evaluation. Since each person’s health and goals are unique, our team needs to examine your records and talk with the candidate about goals. We will only perform surgery on a candidate who is determined to be safe and beneficial.